Friday 11 March 2011

And breathe...

Its Becca again and after my somewhat interesting and slightly stressful week, what better to get rid of all this crap than to blog about it! (not that what I'm about to write is crap in any sense of the word!!)

So, the last time I blogged I'm sure I was going on and on about my next interview at Loughborough ... when I looked around the uni, I really like it (and not to mention that its the place Tricia Guild did her degree!) ... have I mentioned that I love her??? :P
Anyway, went to the interview last wednesday and was let down :( was slightly annoyed that I only got 10/15 mins to talk about my work and didn't even get to show my favourite sketchbook ... the origami one (or any of my sketchbooks for that matter!) but with ALL the people they have to interview, its what I expected really ...  I guess I'm just enthusiastic to talk about my work!
Anyway, half way (yes HALF WAY) through my interview they said that in my statement, I said I was really interested in recycling and restoring materials! VERY confused Becca! (as I didn't put ANYTHING like that in my statement!) They were trying to defend themselves (obviously didn't want to admit that they had screwed up), but only until I asked what name was on the statement, they realised it wasn't my fault but their's! (my name is not Catherine ... sorry to dissappoint). I would have thought it was a common mistake but it has this girl's passport photo on the blooding statement! (I will let you know that the ONLY similarity that this girl and I have in common is that we have brown hair!)
But hey, I got everything I wanted to say across, so thats all I could hope for really, it just threw me off a bit ... but I'll find out the verdict in about 2/3 weeks. However, after that incident ... it suprisingly has put me off the place! (I guess that might make my decision a little easier I guess...

So moving on, Brighton is the word! When I was talking to Gayle about a few ideas that I had this morning (none of them correlating in any way!) I was trying to describe my chair to her, and realised I hadn't looked at it since I bought it weeks ago ... so here are some photos of it:




I have NO idea how to turn them sorry :S but you get the idea!
So, after talking to Gayle, my main inspiration and favourite photo I took in Brighton in this one:


Obviously, the sign is pretty self explainitory however, if you look at whats in the background, to the right of the sign, there is an element of true British black humour about the photo :)

From this idea of British humour, I did breifly look into the work of Donald McGill and these HAVE to be my three favourites:
Hehe :D but I have directed away from these unfortunately :( as replicating them could be difficult and somewhat offensive to my models! But hey, it was fun researching it ... needed a bit of a giggle!

Slightly side-tracked, but here is a really crap photo of a design idea Gayle and I came up with this morning (inspired by the sign, burnt pier and pattern on the side):


It's too difficult to explain at the moment (and probably difficult to see!) but what kind of post would this be without a bit of suspense?? :P all will be revealed soon :D
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment