Sunday 27 March 2011

They're FINISHED!!

Okayy, so I have been INSANELY busy this past week, it's literally crazy BUT... my two chairs are finally...complete :D 
I have been working solidly on them from home, as that is where I found it easiest to work quickly and efficiently, and well I thought I should blog about it as no one has actually seen what I've been doing.. haha.

So here we go... how I made my chairs....

Here is my outdoor workspace, to the left are my five fabric dye colours - pink, red, orange, blue and green. I had a small spoon which I used to place the dye in certain areas, and a little chart telling me which colours can't go next to other ones [annoyingly, green could ONLY go next to blue, or it would turn into a horrible shade of brown if mixed with any of the other colours...aha]


So, after I'd done a tester piece, here is one of the back headboards, as you can see the colours look pretty wicked!! I had to leave the fabric soaking in the dye for an hour, before washing in cold water, then in warm water, and then leaving to dry.


As you can see, when dry the fabric dye is slightly paler. And after a nice iron, they were ready for the felt shapes, inspired by the arcade candy, sticks of rock, and ice creams in Brighton :D


Each shape had to be sewn on somehow...so, I used the five different colours in thread [red, orange, blue, green, and pink] set the machine to a zigzag stitch, and sewed each shape on, colour by colour. I painstakingly went through each shape doing a section in a colour, before then changing the thread and repeating the process. I must admit I was quite bored by the 5th colour...


But the result looks FABULOUS, and worth the effort :D


I then set about upholstering the seats, staple guns sure are a nightmare!! I swear for every 1 staple that worked, about 10 didn't!!


Then backed each board with white for a clean finish.


AND...TA-DA!! the finished chairs with the bases and backs nailed back on!!
I must admit..I'm quite proud of myself :')




Those photos of the actual chairs aren't great quality... but yeah :)

Hope you like them :D :D

Jennnnnnnnnnnnnny :)


No comments:

Post a Comment