Sunday 15 May 2011

It's been a VERY busy week printing!

Like I had predicted, I have literally been glued to the print table ALL week, from about 8.15am til 7.30/8pm!! Which after my friend's 21st bday celebrations this weekend = a VERY tired Becca! Not even kidding, I've been up for like 4 hours and am already in NEED of some more sleep! But I am ploughing on and getting ready for the busy week to come.
So, thought you all might want an update of how this week has gone. I am actually really really pleased with how its all going! Still have LOADS more to do though, but I'm suprisingly not so worried about it all (yet) ... but don't get me started on my book work! (Has been abandoned recently!)

At the beginning of the week, I hadn't started screen printing yet, so everything that I am about to show you has been done in the last 5/7 days. (I have somehow developed the nickname of being a 'steam train of a printer', simply due to the fact I have massively got into a routine and have somewhat become very fast! ... Well I do have loads of things that need to be printed, and with the time frame we have left, you have to be quick right??)

When I went to the Country Market car boot sale all of those weeks ago, a set of old Australian stamps was one of my many purchases. However, one of the stanps was very interesting:


This pattern in the background and some added inspiration from designers such as Giovanna Cellini and possibly the set designers from One Tree Hill :P (LOVE that programme!! And it proves that as research, one should ALWAYS watch T.V ... Glee and 90210 etc. could also be proved to be beneficial :P) Anyway, they have helped me create my first samples of printing:




These three all work as a set and I plan on making circular-based washbags with them :) The photos are in order in which I printed them and now looking at the first one, I think that possibly another colour or print needs to be included (sorry Courts! I know you wanted to buy this one!! No decisions have been made to whether this is going to be altered or not yet :D)
And the bottom one is still a working progress. I realise that the photos are not particularly clear, but I may take the faint purple in the background out of the design and just uce the orange all over ... but I need to experiment around to see what the final result will look like.


Here is a closer image so that you can see the detailing and my interpretation to the Australian stamp :)

Moving on, with a previous post, I showed my Photoshop layouts for the various countries that I am basing my prints for the lining of my suitcases. This week, I have expanded on these even further and have come up with the final layouts. I have also measured, cut out and printed the final lining pieces for two of them. However, I have to wait until more opaque binder comes to print the last one.

So, here are some of the photos and development:


The photo above was my first sample for India. As you can see, I have slightly changed the colours from my original Photoshop layout and have experimented with with various layouts and colourways... 



And this is my final print! You can get the idea but unfortuanately I have left it in college over the weekend so I can't take any close-up photos :(
This print has about 5 different layers, so you can only imagine how long it took me to print! (Even with my speedy printing!)


This is my final print for Austrlia. (Again, I have changed and used some more colours, which are still in-keeping with the 'outback' and 'dry' feel of the country.
Orginally, I also had a compass design included, which unfortunately isn't on a screen however, now that this print is finished, I'm not sure if it needs it??


This was my first try-out for America. This print is probably the only one in which I pretty much kept the original colour scheme, excluded the swapping of the red and white in the background.


However, I decided to include more of a gold in the letter image, making it stand out even more and also added to the 'patriotic' approach :)


And finally, you've gotta love a good, old close-up shot! :P

So to sum up, thats what I have been doing all week! I still want to experiment around with some of the prints and possibly mix all the imagery up to create one last design for my neck pillows and other travel products!

Hope you like what you've seen :) and I'm sure if I carry on like this, I will have even more to show you next week! :D

Becca xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment