Tuesday 22 February 2011

Anyone with an interview at Derby??

Hey girls,
I have no idea if anyone else has an interview at Derby uni this week (or in the future) but if some of you do, I thought I would let you know how I got on yesterday...
So, my interivew was for Textiles Design but I'm sure that the format will be very similar if not the same for the fashion girlies :)
First, they look at your folios first, without you there and you are interviewed by one member of staff and two third year students - this was actully really good (as with my other interviews, I didn't really get to talk to the students) but it also allowed you to hear their opinion of the uni/experience/course etc.
Anyway, when they were looking through my folio, they gave us this sheet of paper with a brief outline of the course but also some potential questions that they might ask you.
Here is what it said:
  • Select a piece/series of work that best demonstrates your capabilities as a designer.
  • Explain your reasons for choosing to study Textiles.
  • What could the University of Derby offer you that other courses cannot?
  • Discuss any artist or designer who has influenced your thinking or your work.
  • Name a public figure that you admire and explain why (for this one, I would personally recommend that it isn't anyone textiles/fashion related)
So thats the info that we got given :) pretty straight forward. ooo and also, before your interview they ask you to select three pieces of work that you think demonstrates your skills as a designer. (A tip: probs chose your most recent work) I chose two sheets from my folio: my objects of desire project, altered images and my origami sketchbook :)
And one last tip: SMILE! I promise you, they are lovely! (and as a matter of fact: so have all the other people that have interviewed me :D)
Hope this is helpful
Becca xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment