Tuesday 15 February 2011

Plastic Pincers

Hiii it's Iz. So, my skirt is all about lobsters and the main focus is on the 'pocket' which is actually going to be a big fat lobster claw. The idea is you put your hand in and it looks like you have pincers, AKA have 'become' the lobster. We decided the best way of doing it would be vacuum forming with plastic so I had to make some nice big clay claws (clay. takes. ages.) to serve as the mould. It's quite tricky because you have to make sure there are no 'undercuts'- ie it goes smoothly down at the sides- or your mould gets stuck. I went and formed them today with Georgie, unfortunately the red plastic was too thin and broke, so i had to use white and will need to spray paint them red (thanks ellie for the spraypaint!!) But anyway, here is an inside look at the magical vacuum forming machine...

Before...
During...

After!


Just to be special I also made some papier mache claws from the same clay mould which look quite good, but I will use the plastic because it's more 'professional'.
And that was my day. Envelope, you have been pushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment