Sunday 22 January 2012

My week with my pony

 I have been with my pony now for just over two weeks, and after a slow start, I have seemed to of grasped this projects full potential and have begun to get truely excited. So this is how a project on books have become (for me) a project ending in a garment.
 Initially I like to start with a pencil sketches to get the true proportions of my starting points . . .
 and I use photos and Biro.
 I then decided to experiment with different types of line making. So here I have used a Biro and drawn a series of ponies without taking my pen off the page once - so it is a one line drawing. I then photocopied onto acetate to try layering, mirroring and the potential of turning it into a pattern.
As I am very interested in fashion design, I did want to somehow link the project. And I was lucky enough to find this collection by Wildfox White Label Spring 2012 collection, which was actually inspired by My Little Pony too. It was when looking into this collection that I had my big IDEA - As I wish to reflect an inner playfulness, I have decided to make a storybook, with a difference. The pages will be made into the lining of an adult's garment to reflect your inner child.
 From this I went onto look at the types of fashion warn around horses - for example cowgirls and fairytales (which fitted in nicely with the playful theme). I have decided to look at small aspects from mainly the cowgirl style, such as collars and fabrics that define it, and to build it into my piece subtly.
 I then looked at the use of horses within fashion, which mainly showed a variation of horse prints, from a large dramatic wrap around photo print to a ditsy repeated horse print.
 I had also found the print on the skirt above from a magazine advert, which gave me another idea. The skirt and bra use silhouettes as a print in a darker colour along the sides as a method of illusional dressing. The print above helps to enhance a slimmer hourglass silhouette, flattering the wearer's figure. Also the contrast makes for a dramatic print. With all this in consideration, I decided to try a print similar of my own . . .
 . . . from horse silhouettes. I plan to screen print very soon.
Another print I was interested in looking at is the playful prints used in the Miu Miu collections, as I thought the symbols would fit well. Also I was very inspired how the youthful design was made much more sophisticated with the colours and cut of the garments, and made more elaborate with a variation of fabrics and embellishments.
 And above is the start of my print making. I found at the beginning of this project, that My Little Pony each have a symbol on its back to reflect it's name/personality. After looking into some of the symbols, I chose the ones above to alter and experiment with in similar prints to Miu Miu's. I am hoping that I can use something similar within my design.
So it may of been a busy few weeks for me, but it will be a very busy next few days. But its all enjoyable work. So wish me & my pony luck!!

Sally Louise Paine

No comments:

Post a Comment